Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February 19, 2014 Hyacinth, Kohlrabi, Chicken Casserole

Good Morning!  I'm not quite awake yet.  You know if the chickens would make coffee they would get let out sooner.

The other day I did finally take out the heat lamp from their coop.  I do expect we'll still have some cold days but they are big enough now to stay warm on their own in the coop.  Last night I also left the heater off in the hoop house.  There was lots of dew this morning so hopefully the plants enjoyed the humid air.

Here's something funny the neighbor asked me yesterday.  They wanted to know if I had any more roosters and if so, could they have one.  I said yes and then asked if they meant alive or dead.  They want a live one for eating bugs.  This can't happen.  Because roosters make noise and the whole point of bumping off the roosters is because I don't want them crowing.  Since I do want to raise broilers I'll pick up a hen for the neighbor one day.  

I'm daydreaming of things I want to do in other parts of the property.  This is bad.  I haven't yet begun to finish the things I'm doing now.  I blame gardening magazines.  They inspire me to do things I hadn't thought of, and I want my yard to look like theirs do right this minute.  I wish they would say, "It took me 15 years to get my yard this nice."  Most people probably don't want to hear that.  I just have to remember that every little thing I do is probably an improvement.


My blank slate 32x40 foot garden.  This was 2 years ago.

Ok, it's time to start the day.  I'll be back to show you what I've done with mine...


The first hyacinth bloomed.  I wasn't expecting a hot pink color so it was quite surprising.  I wish the other 6 were blooming but they will when they're ready.

I harvested one of the kohlrabi.  It's been growing since November.  They have all made it through the long winter with no noticeable issues.  I'm always surprised at which plants can survive freezing temperatures.  I cooked it tonight by grating it and putting in a casserole with chicken, noodles, onion, cream of mushroom soup and fontina cheese.  Delicious!  Thank you garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment